CAT #: COVID-19
COVID-19 testing is performed with real-time reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) to detect nucleic acid from SARS-CoV-2.
Results are for the presence of SARS-CoV-2 RNA.
- Indications for Testing:
- At presentation of acute symptoms of COVID-19
- Turnaround Time:1-2 business days
- CPT Codes:
- Specimen Requirements:
- Nasopharyngeal swab* (NP) or Oropharyngeal swab (OP)
- Swab must be in universal transport medium (UTM) (minimum of 1 mL)
- Specimen Storage Conditions:
2-8°C, up to 72 hours after collection or -70°C or below for longer storage
- Specimen Shipping Conditions:
If delivery expected within 72 hours of collection: keep specimen at 2-8°C, and ship overnight on cool pack.
If specimen is frozen* or delivery is delayed, freeze specimen and ship overnight on dry ice.
*If frozen, do not allow to thaw.
- Locations Where Test is Performed:
LabPMM, LLC (USA)
For indications for testing please reference the CDC site as it is frequently changing.